ScienceofSpeed has designed, tested, and put into use some of the most impressive NSX engines for uses varying from the street-driven NSX to the offroad NSX powered race car. Are you repairing your factory engine, and wanting to keep it as original as possible? Or, are you building a supercharged or turbocharged high-performance engine? ScienceofSpeed has a solution for you.
our process: through in-house research and development, we have perfected the best formula of component materials and design, machining and clearances, and assembly techniques. Each engine is built in our climate-controlled engine assembly room where each component is measured and recorded as a part of our blueprinted assembly process. In addition to the high-performance components used by ScienceofSpeed, each engine is rebuilt using all new seals, gaskets, and bearings.
stages are rated by crankshaft horsepower capacity: to help our customers match their power goals with the proper modifications ScienceofSpeed offers three "stages" of engine modification.
- Stage 1 (3.0L): this stage is intended for 1991-96 M/T NSX or 1997-05 A/T NSX. This engine can produce factory power (using factory compression pistons) or for forced induction up to 550 BHP. The package includes a blueprinted assembly that includes cylinder block processing, cylinder head processing, forged pistons, bushed factory connecting rods, and all new seals & gaskets.
- Stage 2 (3.2L): this stage intended for all NSX years. This engine can produce factory power (using factory compression pistons) or forced induction up to 650 BHP. This package includes a blueprinted assembly that includes a re-sleeved cylinder block, cylinder head processing, forged pistons, bushed factory connecting rods, and all new seals.
- Stage 3 (3.5L): this stage intended for high-performance applications for all NSX years using stand-alone engine management. This engine can produce an increase in factory power in naturally aspirated applications or forced induction up to 750 BHP. This package includes a blueprinted assembly that includes a re-sleeved cylinder block, cylinder head processing, forged pistons, bushed factory connecting rods, and all new seals.
These stages are rated in horsepower at the crankshaft since power measured at the wheels can vary by chassis dynamometer used. A 15% drivetrain loss factor (the loss of power between what is measured at the wheels & crankshaft) is used for a general guideline. Keep in mind that these ratings are what the engine is capable of producing with the addition of a properly designed supercharger or turbocharger system.
suggested options: Each engine is assembled with new seals, gaskets a factory timing belt. In addition to the options available to each stage, we also recommend considering the following items depending on age & application:
- ScienceofSpeed Lost Motion Assembly Kit
- factory water pump
- ScienceofSpeed Billet Oil Pump Gearset
- factory timing belt tensioner or ScienceofSpeed Locking Timing Belt Tensioner
- ScienceofSpeed Oil Pan Baffle