The ScienceofSpeed High Flow Surge Tank System was designed to solve two problems: high horsepower fuel demand requiring one or more pumps and fuel starvation caused during high G acceleration and cornering. The system was designed and tested through a full year long race season in ScienceofSpeed's top finishing Unlimited S2000.
big power requires big fuel demand:
"Dual pump hangers" in the factory fuel tank do not solve fuel starvation problems during high G acceleration and cornering. The ScienceofSpeed High Flow Surge Tank solves both big fuel demands and fuel starvation issues. It's also perfectly suitable to a factory powered race car with an inexpensive single pump configuration.
The factory fuel tank is not designed for high lateral G force caused during cornering, especially with race compound tires. It is a common problem found on the S2000 caused especially during left-hand corners where the fuel pump's pick up point, even with more than a half tank of fuel, can run dry, causing the fuel system to aerate and lose pressure. This has lead to engine damage caused by lean fuel conditions.
The ScienceofSpeed fuel surge tank can supply 30-60 seconds of fuel to the engine, even with complete loss of fuel flow from the fuel tank. The system works by utilizing the in-tank pump to supply fuel to a reservoir surge tank. This surge tank contains one or two pumps (depending on power requirements) which then supplies fuel to the engine. The surge tank operates independently of the fuel tank such that a buffer of fuel is available to the engine should the tank pick up run dry.
- Full CNC machined billet aluminum construction eliminates possible weld failures.
- Feed design requires less than 3/8" of fuel level left in the tank - allowing 30-60 seconds of surge protection, even if the fuel tank is completely dry.
- Single or dual pump configuration available.
- All finishes, wire & seals are gasoline/ethanol compatible.
- Elastomer pump mounting design reduces vibration / noise found in other designs.
- Lightweight aluminum design (approximately 3 lbs) with weight saving pocketing.
Two or three pumps are utilized. One in the factory fuel tank, and one or two in the surge tank. See the options list for pump details.